Sunday, May 23, 2010

First Course



Greetings fellow interweb surfers. I'm Teagan- and I love food.
You probably do too if you are reading this. Or you just love me, which is cool too (oh hey mom).

I think about food all the time. After making my breakfast, my thoughts are already wandering to lunch. Before I even finish my current baking endeavor, I'm making plans with a friend to grab coffee and muffins. And dinner is never complete without dessert. Midnight snack anyone?

But I'm sure I'm not a lone ranger in this respect. Such is human nature. Our bodies are biologically programmed to center activity around food. Think back to the caveman- heck even our supposed neanderthal brethren- and just consider how they spent their time. Instead of waking up each morning feelin like P-Ditty, they woke up hungry; all they ever did was hunt and gather food, cook food, and eat food. And rest- so they could do it all again come the next morning.

That's how relationships began- I'll give you some of my berries, you give me some of that boar.
That's how culture started- around a campire while cooking.

Food isn't simply a biological necessity. It's an integral part of who we are- and claims a central location in the human psyche. Even today, while we don't spend the entirety our days gathering, hunting, cooking, ect- thanks to modern society- food still consumes us (pun intende). We watch food on TV, we excersize to burn off the food we eat, and obsess over counting calories. We commemorate special occasions by preparing special food, and socialize by going out to eat food at fun places with our friends. When we sit around a table to share a meal and break bread, food is not only being consumed to provide energy, we are creating family ties, participating in religious activity, and nurturing our souls.

Together with my much beloved smister- Tori (you'll meet her soon enough)- we decided to create this space: our very own cozy corner tucked away in the world-wide web. Tori and Teddy: TickleMe Tasty, a shrine to food, yes; but also to the love that we find in it, and the life that we gain from it.

Here's a taste of what's to come, our menu so to speak:

Cooking- Indiana Jones Style: Follow my journey as I set out to conquer the kitchen. Pick up some adventerous recipies (as well as some staple safety go-tos) and helpful hints that you can stick in your personal cooking toolbox.
Constructive Critisism: Restaurant reviews a la Tori.
Smarties: Historical trivia, fun fact, and social commentary with which to impress your friends and baffle your frenemies.
Play With Your Food: Explore the entertainment of food with posts and links to our fav food sites.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment